Phil Mickelson nearly missed his tee time at the BMW Championship because his hotel caught on fire
Phil Mickelson nearly missed his 11:52 a.m. local tee time at the BMW Championships on Sunday for a reason that sounds so bizarre it’s impossible to make up.
As he explained in his Twitter feed, his hotel was struck by lightning and caught on fire, forcing him to leave his belongings in his room.
Mickelson’s hotel, the Eaglewood Resort & Spa, was struck by lightning around 8 a.m. when a chimney blew out and caught on fire. Golfweek's Steve DiMeglio reports that firefighters helped him back into his room to get his belongings, and he was able to make it to the course with time to spare.
Fortunately for Mickelson, Eaglewood is just a mile and a half away from the Medinah Country Club, so it was a quick drive over once he had everything. However, since he had to get his things in a hurry, Mickelson had to change and warm up from the parking lot before starting his final round.
Mickelson entered the day at 4-under after scoring a 69 on Saturday, his best round yet at the tournament. Justin Thomas finished Saturday with a course-record 61, which gave him a commanding six-stroke lead at 21-under.
Barring a miraculous comeback, though, Sunday will be Mickelson’s last round of the season. He is unlikely to qualify for the Tour Championship, since only the top 30 players in the FedEx Cup standings make it, and he is projected to finish 49th.
Mickelson is happy to be safe, and that should always be the top priority. But maybe next time he’ll also remember to tell his family he’s safe before everyone else.
More from Yahoo Sports: