Man who died in Dominican Republic reportedly had green foam coming out of his mouth
An Arizona man claims his father, who died while vacationing in the Dominican Republic last June, had "something green" foaming from his mouth when he died.
Mark Hurlbut Jr. told AZ Family last Saturday that his father, 62-year-old Mark Hurlbut Sr., and his wife were in Punta Cana when both became sick the night before Hurlbut Sr. passed away.
"She woke up, and he didn't," Hurlbut Jr. said. "She told me that as she found him that he had something green coming from his mouth. It was something that came way out of left field. It was not something that any of us thought was going to happen."
Hurlbut Jr. said his father was healthy before he died but is unsure whether Hurlbut Sr.'s death is related to the latest string of deaths that have taken place across the Caribbean island. Hurlbut Sr.'s cause of death was officially listed as a heart attack, although his son is now suspicious.
"Having known then what I know now I would have fought tooth and nail to have his remains brought back here and had his autopsy done here in America," Hurlbut Jr. said.
Hurlbut Sr.'s death is one of several puzzling incidents to have occurred in Punta Cana over the past several months.
Yvette Monique Sport of Glenside, Pa., died on June 23, 2018, after allegedly drinking from the minibar at the Bahia Principe Hotel. Her fiancé reportedly tried to wake her up but found that she was unresponsive. Officials later determined that Sport died of a heart attack, although Sport's sister insisted that she was healthy prior to her passing.
One month later, on July 14, 2018, David Harrison of Charles County, Md., died after complaining of being sick one night while staying at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Punta Cana. A doctor had purportedly taken 25 minutes to provide treatment and arrived too late to save the victim. Authorities concluded shortly after that Harrison died of a heart attack and pulmonary edema.
On April 14, 2018, Robert Wallace of Turlock, Calif., died at the same resort as Harrison. Wallace's niece told Fox News that he fell sick almost immediately after having a scotch from his room's minibar. The family has yet to learn Wallace's official cause of death.
That same month, nearly 50 members of a Jimmy Buffett fan club got sick after lounging by a pool at the Hotel Riu Palace Macao. One member told KFOR that he lost 14 pounds due to his illness, which he says occurred not too long after he had a drink from a swim-up bar. Some group members also allegedly tested positive for salmonella.
Last month, Jerry Martin of Plant City, Fla., told WTVT that he, too, became sick after swimming at a pool in Punta Cana. Since returning to the U.S., he has reportedly been to the emergency room five times.
On June 9, several high school graduates from Oklahoma became violently ill after eating at a Japanese restaurant at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino. Six members of the group were taken to a hospital, hooked up to IVs and given antibiotics and anti-nausea medicine.
The string of incidents has left Dominican authorities scrambling to quell fears over safety concerns at the island's resorts.