6-month-old girl survives multiple days alone in motel room after both parents die: police
A 6-month-old girl who survived alone for days in a Michigan motel room after both of her parents died is now miraculously breathing on her own.
Baby Skylah was found severely dehydrated alongside her parents' bodies at the Rodeway Inn in Whitehall during a welfare check on May 24, WXMI reports.
Initial autopsies performed on Skylah's parents, identified as 26-year-old Jessica Bramer and 28-year-old Christian Reed, did not identify an immediate cause of death, although authorities allegedly found drug paraphernalia in their room. A full toxicology report is pending.
The infant, who was in "dire need of medical attention" when she was rescued by police, was airlifted to Helen DeVos Children's Hospital in critical condition. Her breathing tube has since been removed and she is now expected to make a full recovery.
"This precious baby needed a lot of heroes and a lot of heroes showed up," EMT Michele Bridges, said. "The call ... was just a vivid reminder why any of us are in this business, and it's not a business to us, it's a matter of saving lives."
Family members of Bramer and Reed told WOOD-TV that the pair had recently been in and out of jail. Skylah's grandparents allegedly contacted Children's Protective Services in January over concerns about the baby's well-being.
It remains unclear who will gain custody of the child when she is discharged from the hospital.