Officials: Possibly 1,712 more migrant children separated

 

Trump administration officials have revealed that an additional 1,712 migrant children may have been separated from their parents while coming into America.

The children entered the country before President Donald Trump enacted his “zero tolerance” policy a year ago, resulting in the separation of at least 2,800 children from their parents.

There is “preliminary indication of separation” involving these children, Commander Jonathan White of the U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps said in federal court in San Diego Friday, CNN reported.

Even more children could eventually be identified. White said Friday his team has reviewed 13,000 files out of a total of some 47,000.

RELATED: Walmart disturbed by Trump administration's use of former store to house migrant children

9 PHOTOS
Walmart 'disturbed' by Trump administration's use of former store to house migrant children
See Gallery
Walmart 'disturbed' by Trump administration's use of former store to house migrant children
Our statement on the situation in Brownsville, TX: https://t.co/AfyS7mg2Yg
@laidybug45 We had no idea our former store would be used for such a disturbing purpose, A.L. We are just as shocke… https://t.co/I4IKiksKCL
@GretchenInDE We sold that building in 2016 and had no idea then that it would go on to be used in such a disturbing way.
@organikbeaver We were actually surprised to find out that the store we sold in 2016 was being used in such a distu… https://t.co/7I1fJemduh
@HCCSees When we heard about the disturbing way our old store was being used, like many others, we were surprised.… https://t.co/BrWyKI99cy
@pastspirits We were so surprised to learn about the disturbing way our former store is being used. We sold the bui… https://t.co/FVoOmSp6Fp
@alvngonzalez That's just not true, Alvin. When we heard about the disturbing way our old store was being used, lik… https://t.co/DbY8HtAobS
@buffs_place We were also disturbed when we learned how the facility was being used, Lisa. We had no knowledge when… https://t.co/RSV9wHlfYY
@BMLewis2 We’re really disturbed by how our former store is being used. When we sold the building in 2016 we had no… https://t.co/5ii1miwCSv
HIDE CAPTION
SHOW CAPTION
of
SEE ALL
BACK TO SLIDE

U.S. District Court Judge Dana Sabraw has given the administration six months from April to review all the files, even though Trump officials requested two years to track down all the children.

The new list of 1,712 children has now been sent to Customs and Border Protection for the “next phase of review,” to further track the children, White told the court, NBC reported.

The children at the center of the court case filed by the American Civil Liberties Union have already been released from government custody, the vast majority to parents or close relatives. But CBP records tracking them are spotty. 

Following a federal judge’s earlier order, the government managed to reunite close to 2,700 children separated from their parents under the zero tolerance policy that prosecuted everyone entering the U.S. illegally from Mexico. 

Last month, Sabraw issued a 14-page ruling expanding the class definition in the suit and affecting thousands of other children following revelations that the government had been separating families since July 2017 — long before the zero-tolerance policy was announced.

  • This article originally appeared on HuffPost.
Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.