Welcome to the Morning Brief where we give you a rundown of everything you may have missed the night before and what's trending this morning. To dive deeper into these stories click on the links.
1. Melania Trump slammed for showing off 'historically ludicrous' Christmas decor
After posting a video to Twitter displaying all of the extravagant decor around the White House, people can’t help but point out that the administration is celebrating this festive time all while children are being tear-gassed at the U.S.-Mexico border.
2. It's OK to eat some romaine lettuce, FDA says
The agency said Monday the romaine linked to the outbreak appears to be from California's Central Coast region. It said romaine from elsewhere should soon be labeled with harvest dates and regions, so people know it's OK to eat.
4. Northern California wildfire costs likely in the billions
Costs associated with a deadly Northern California wildfire will likely be in the billions, U.S. Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke said Monday as he returned to the town of Paradise, saying he has never witnessed such devastation.
6. Heather Locklear reportedly placed on extended psychiatric hold
The Melrose Place star was hospitalized Wednesday and placed on a mandatory 72-hour hold; however, doctors determined Locklear needed additional treatment, according to TMZ.
7. Salvation Army apologizes after Hells Angels bell ringers wear racist patches
The Times of Northwest Indiana reports that members of the motorcycle club were spotted outside a Walmart in Valparaiso, Indiana, over the weekend, wearing patches that included a Confederate flag and the word “Aryan.”
8. U.S. Army Ranger killed in Afghanistan likely died of friendly fire
Sgt. Leandro Jasso was killed Nov. 24 in Nimroz Province in western Afghanistan during a joint U.S-Afghan assault on al Qaeda positions, officials said.
9. Meghan Markle said to be causing a 'rift' in the royal family
“The initial plan was for Harry and Meghan to move out of their cottage in the grounds of Kensington Palace and into one of the main apartments,” a royal source told The Sun. “But there has been a bit of tension between the brothers.”
10. Colts star hospitalized after painful sounding kidney injury
Jack Doyle is believed to have suffered the injury on a hit Sunday in the Colts’ win over the Miami Dolphins. Head coach Frank Reich told reporters that Doyle spent the night in the hospital and required a procedure.