Morning Brief: The top news and buzzy moments you need to know
Welcome to the Morning Brief where we give you a rundown of everything you may have missed the night before and what's trending this morning. To dive deeper into these stories click on the links.
1. A dry spell has created a 'recipe for destruction' in California wildfires conditions
The death toll from the fires rose to 31 overnight, according to officials, and at least 200 people remain missing in the fire zones.
2. Michelle Obama didn't think Barack would win the presidency
While the former first lady believed Barack would make a great president, she also worried about what it would do to their family and their marriage.
3. Anthony Bourdain's final moments on 'Parts Unknown' are a dark look at his past
Though much of the episode was focused on the area’s music and art during the 1970s and ’80s, some of the most interesting parts were when Bourdain took us on a very strange trip down memory lane.
4. Trump raises 'infected' ballot claims amid Florida recount
The president suggested that the ongoing recounts in Florida should be halted and the razor-thin races called for Republican candidates while floating baseless claims of voter fraud.
5. Aetna ordered to pay $25 million to late cancer patient’s family
A jury has ordered Aetna to pay more than $25 million to the family of an Oklahoma City woman who died a year after the insurance company refused to cover a type of radiation therapy.
6. Patrick Mahomes' girlfriend's stepdad dies before Chiefs game
After he skipped the postgame interviews, Mahomes’ girlfriend Brittany Matthews shed some light on the situation, explaining that her stepfather had died after collapsing outside of Arrowhead Stadium before the game.
7. Trump wants to end Hurricane Maria relief funding to Puerto Rico
At least 2,975 people have died and hundreds of thousands of people are still waiting for help, living in homes that are in desperate need of repair.
8. Australian police arrest 50-year-old woman after needles found in strawberries
An Australian woman accused of contaminating strawberries with needles allegedly did so out of spite.
9. Melania Trump wore a tuxedo and people think she stole the look from Hope Hicks
During a visit to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the end of World War I in France, she attended a dinner on Saturday night in a tuxedo by French label Dior.
10. Walmart is selling shotgun shell holiday lights
A woman posted on Facebook a photo of novelty holiday lights for sale at Walmart made of used shotgun shells -- and it drew major controversy online.