Man accused of stealing $1.2 million in wine from Goldman Sachs CEO jumps to his death from Carlyle Hotel

The former personal assistant to the CEO of Goldman Sachs took a fatal leap from his room in the Carlyle Hotel Tuesday — the same day he was expected to plead guilty to stealing $1.2 million in wine from his boss’ collection.

Nicolas DeMeyer, 41, jumped from his room window on the 33rd floor of the Upper East Side hotel just after 2:30 p.m, police said Tuesday.

Workers at the famed E. 76th St. hotel told the Daily News that DeMeyer checked in, but wasn’t acting strange. “He just looked like he had money,” one workers said.

The worker said DeMeyer was staying in the tower of the 35-story hotel.

“He went out the rear of the building and landed on a 17th-floor balcony,” the worker said.

Added another worker, “I saw him when they brought him out. He was in two pieces when they put him in a body bag. It was awful.”

Meyer was supposed to appear in Manhattan Federal Court at 2:30 p.m., but he never showed, and Judge Paul Gardephe ordered the day’s proceeding cancelled. He faced up to 10 years behind bars.

The wine belonged to David Solomon, who at the time was the president and co-chief operating officer of Goldman Sachs. He took over as CEO on Oct. 1.

“Mary and I are deeply saddened to hear that Nicolas took his own life,” Solomon said in a statement Tuesday, referring to his wife, Mary Solomon. “He was close to our family for several years, and we are all heartbroken to hear of his tragic end.”

The wine included vintages from the French Estate Domaine de la Romanée-Conti, which federal prosecutors said “are widely considered among the best, most expensive, and rarest wines in the world.

He stole the bottles between 2014 and 2016, prosecutors alleged, using a fake name to sell the wine to a North Carolina-based wine dealer he found on the internet.

In October 2016, he took seven bottles Solomon bought for $133,650 and sold them to the dealer, who picked them up at DeMeyer’s Manhattan apartment.

DeMeyer was arrested in Los Angeles in January. His mom, who lives in Findlay, Ohio, put up her home to cover his $1 million bond in March. She didn’t return a message seeking comment Tuesday.

Court records show DeMeyer was living in Findlay on house arrest, and the U.S Marshals paid for his trips to New York for court appearances.