Texas surf resort tested after 'brain-eating amoeba' death

WACO, Texas (AP) — Health officials have conducted tests at a landlocked surf resort in Central Texas after a man who visited there died from what is known as a "brain-eating amoeba."

Waco-McLennan County Public Health District spokesman Kelly Craine told The Associated Press on Monday that results of testing by a team from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are expected later this week.

6 PHOTOS
Fabrizio Stabile dies from 'brain-eating amoeba'
See Gallery
Fabrizio Stabile dies from 'brain-eating amoeba'

Fabrizio Stabile

(Photo: GoFundMe)

ICYMI: Fabrizio Stabile, 29, died just one day after he was diagnosed with the brain-eating amoeba, Naegleria fowle… https://t.co/F2Um6PHG9q
He was only 29 https://t.co/CLch1pZWH1
Officials say a surf resort in Waco, Texas is closed following the death of a man who suffered from a brain-eating… https://t.co/w4Zi83GZPP
Man dies of brain-eating amoeba after visiting a water park. https://t.co/XzdlO1ysSi https://t.co/tb3u0OqNp3
Waco surf resort closed for "brain-eating amoeba" testing --> https://t.co/rhSi4RnhEs https://t.co/D9PagBgZRO
HIDE CAPTION
SHOW CAPTION
of
SEE ALL
BACK TO SLIDE

Craine said BSR Cable Park's Surf Resort voluntarily closed as health officials investigate. Fabrizio Stabile, a 29-year-old from New Jersey, died Sept. 21 after falling ill with Naegleria fowleri, a rare but highly deadly amoeba.

The CDC says people are typically infected when they go diving or swimming in warm freshwater places like lakes and rivers.

___

Information from: Waco Tribune-Herald, http://www.wacotrib.com

Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.