Texas surf resort tested after 'brain-eating amoeba' death
WACO, Texas (AP) — Health officials have conducted tests at a landlocked surf resort in Central Texas after a man who visited there died from what is known as a "brain-eating amoeba."
Waco-McLennan County Public Health District spokesman Kelly Craine told The Associated Press on Monday that results of testing by a team from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are expected later this week.
Craine said BSR Cable Park's Surf Resort voluntarily closed as health officials investigate. Fabrizio Stabile, a 29-year-old from New Jersey, died Sept. 21 after falling ill with Naegleria fowleri, a rare but highly deadly amoeba.
The CDC says people are typically infected when they go diving or swimming in warm freshwater places like lakes and rivers.
Information from: Waco Tribune-Herald, http://www.wacotrib.com