Johnny Bobbitt will get his money, even if his benefactors never pay up.
Bobbitt, a homeless man, gave $20 to Katie McClure when she was stranded last Thanksgiving in Pennsylvania. To thank him, McClure and her boyfriend, Mark D'Amico started a GoFundMe, which eventually raised more than $400,000.
But the couple only handed over about $75,000, according to Bobbitt’s lawyer.
McClure and D’Amico claim that they were withholding the money from Bobbitt to make sure he didn’t spend it on drugs, after his attorney previously admitted his client’s drug addiction.
A judge ruled Wednesday that McClure and D’Amico, who say the money is now completely gone, must testify in court as to how they spent the funds raised in Bobbitt’s name.
'We're committing that he'll get the balance of the funds'
But until then, GoFundMe said the good Samaritan will get his $400,00 no matter what.
"Johnny will be made whole and we're committing that he'll get the balance of the funds that he has not yet received or benefited from. GoFundMe's goal has always been to ensure Johnny gets support he deserves," Bobby Whithorne, director of North America Communications for GoFundMe, said in a statement Thursday.
"We'll continue to assist with the ongoing law enforcement investigation. As we've said, our platform is backed by the GoFundMe Guarantee, which means that in the rare case that GoFundMe, law enforcement or a user finds campaigns are misused, donors and beneficiaries are protected. We're fulfilling that commitment today and we will continue to work with Johnny's team to make sure he's receiving all donated amounts."
Earlier Thursday, authorities confiscated a BMW from the couple’s property while serving a search warrant. Boxes were also taken from their home.
McClure and D’Amico are due in court Monday.