Cops raid home of couple who raised GoFundMe money for homeless vet


Authorities executed a search warrant to swarm the home of the South Jersey couple a homeless man has accused of withholding close to a half-million dollars in GoFundMe cash.

As first reported by Philadelphia’s WPVI-TV, investigators were seen raiding Kate McClure and Mark D’Amico’s home in Bordentown Thursday morning. Authorities were reportedly seen removing bags of items from the residence. A black BMW was also reportedly towed.

The Burlington County Prosecutors Office has since confirmed the search was related to allegations levied against the couple by a homeless vet.

“Due to the enormous public interest in this matter, I am confirming that a search warrant was executed early this morning by the Burlington County Prosecutor’s Office and the Florence Township Police Department at the residence of Mark D’Amico and Katelyn McClure in connection with a criminal investigation into the Johnny Bobbitt matter.”

The move comes one day after Superior Court Judge Paula Dow ordered the couple to appear in court next week with a full accounting of the funds they collected for Bobbitt.

Bobbitt filed a lawsuit against the couple last month. Philadelphia attorney Chris Fallon, who is representing Bobbitt, has alleged the couple spent a large portion of the donations on gambling, lavish trips, shopping sprees and a BMW.

The allegations were used as a basis for obtaining the search warrant, which generally requires a lesser standard of proof than an arrest warrant. No criminal charges have been filed against McClure or D’Amico.

The highly-publicized fundraiser was started by McClure last year after Bobbitt, a 34-year-old former Marine, gave his last $20 to her when she ran out of gas on I-95 outside of Philadelphia.

The site raised more than $400,000 dollars, which, according to the description for the fundraiser, was to be used to get Bobbitt an apartment and vehicle.

He claims he only received $75,000. The couple has denied any wrongdoing and say Bobbitt received $200,000 and that $150.000 remains in an account established for him.

However, after an Aug. 29 court proceeding, the couple reportedly failed to meet a 48-hour deadline a judge gave them to turn over any remaining funds to Bobbitt. His lawyer says he’s been told the money is gone.

While it’s unclear where the bulk of the $75,000 Bobbitt allegedly received went, he has admitted to spending some of the money on drugs, Forbes reported.

According to Philadelphia’s WTXF-TV, Bobbitt is in a 30-day treatment program.

Send David Lohr an email or follow him on Facebook and Twitter.

  • This article originally appeared on HuffPost.