Restaurant says tweet claiming it refused to serve President Trump is fake
A Kansas City, Missouri, restaurant is speaking out after a fake tweet claiming it refused to serve President Donald Trump went viral.
Arthur Bryant's Barbeque took to Facebook on Wednesday to inform its patrons that the tweet, which was allegedly written by the president himself to denounce the eatery, was fabricated, WDAF reports.
"There is a post going around that Arthur Bryant’s refused service to The President on his most recent visit to Kansas City," the post begins. "This is a fake report by someone who is trying to make the restaurant look bad by playing the political card and divide our customer base. We do not refuse service to anyone based on race, gender, religious affiliation, orientation or even political points of view."
"Our goal is serve the best Barbeque we can on a daily basis and to make as many people happy with our product as possible," it continued. "Don’t believe everything you read ..."
A screenshot of the fake tweet shows that it was allegedly shared on Trump's Twitter on July 24 at 6:46 p.m., which happened to be when the president was visiting Missouri to address the annual convention of the Veterans of Foreign Wars.
"Just got turned away from Arthur Bryant's," the fake tweet read. "Sad restaurant, very unsanitary. Not even the decency to have ketchup for the extremely average BBQ. Yet again proving Obama was wrong about everything. Sad."
In a statement, the restaurant told WDAF that there were never any plans for the President to visit Arthur Bryant's, but that if he did stop by, he would have been more than welcome to eat there.
"We would have graciously welcomed President Trump in the same manner we have welcomed many other presidents and legislators," said Jerry Rauschelbach, a managing partner at Arthur Bryant's. "At Arthur Bryant’s we respect the office of the Presidency and we value all of our customers Republican, Democrat, Libertarian or other. Our barbecue transcends political parties!"
Last month, a Lexington, Virginia, restaurant made headlines after the manager refused service to White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders.
The Red Hen received significant backlash over the move, including a negative review from the president himself, who called the restaurant "dirty" and said the establishment "should focus more on cleaning its filthy canopies, doors and windows (badly needs a paint job) rather than refusing to serve a fine person like Sarah Huckabee Sanders."
The restaurant was forced to shutter its doors for several days after the incident but was able to reopen on July 6 to customers with reservations only. The debacle apparently didn't hurt business too much, as a sign hung on the Red Hen's door that evening said it was fully booked.