North Korea on Saturday called its recent in-person denuclearization talks with U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo “extremely regrettable” and accused the US Of making “gangster-like” demands.
Responding to those comments, Pompeo told reporters Sunday: “If those requests were gangster-like, the world is a gangster because there was a unanimous decision at the UN Security Council about what needs to be achieved.”
According to Sky News, the regime’s Foreign Ministry had said in a statement, “The US attitude and positions at the high-level talks on Friday and Saturday were extremely regrettable.”
RELATED: Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's trips to North Korea
North Korea also said the U.S. is making unfair demands beyond those agreed to by President Trump and its leader Kim Jong-un during their June 12 summit, saying the Pompeo talks were a “dangerous phase that might rattle our willingness for denuclearisation that had been firm.”
Meanwhile, Pompeo on Saturday had expressed a more positive assessment of his visit to North Korea.
“These are complicated issues but we made progress on almost all of the central issues,” Pompeo said. “We had productive, good-faith negotiations.”