Tucker Carlson says Democrats are 'plotting a coup' through immigration
- Conservatives and right-wing media are arguing that Democrats are pivoting to more left-wing positions on immigration as part of a "coup" to retake political power.
- "They're going to tell you it's about civil rights or some principle they really care about — but they're lying. It's about seizing power and holding it," Fox News host Tucker Carlson said.
- Critics are accusing Carlson and others of popularizing white nationalist talking points.
Conservatives and right-wing media are arguing that Democrats have embraced left-wing positions on immigration, including calling for the elimination of Immigration and Customs Enforcement, as part of a "coup" to retake political power.
Fox News host Tucker Carlson accused Democrats of supporting higher levels of immigration as a way to change the demographics and "character" of the country and overthrow Republican control of American politics.
"They're going to tell you it's about civil rights or some principle they really care about — but they're lying. It's about seizing power and holding it. That's their only aim and they're deadly serious about it," Carlson said during his Thursday evening show. "While you were grilling in the backyard last night, they were plotting, in effect, a coup."
Another prominent Fox host, Jeanine Pirro, also recently argued that Democrats are staging a "socialist coup" as part of a larger effort to "change our country at its very core."
A host of online critics accused Carlson of promoting a white nationalist ideology, which holds that a growing immigrant population threatens white Americans.
- 'I'm just thankful to be here in America': An asylum-seeker speaks out about narrowly escaping getting separated from his son
- Trump contradicts himself on immigration again, falsely saying he 'never pushed' Republicans to vote for a conservative bill
- American politics are at a boiling point after 'one of the most intense months' in memory