Report: Russian aircraft carrying Peruvian World Cup fans catches fire
A week after a plane carrying the Saudi Arabian national team from Moscow to Rostov caught fire in-flight, reports emerging from Russia indicate that there has been another mid-air incident aboard a Russian commercial aircraft. According to Peruvian news outlet, RPP, a flight which was transporting some 70 Peruvian World Cup fans from Yekaterinburg to Moscow, caught fire just minutes before landing. No injuries were reported.
The incident was initially reported by RPP sports correspondent Melina Merino as an explosion.
Later reports seemed to clarify that one of the plane’s turbines had caught fire en-route to landing. In smartphone video that has emerged from the flight, smoke is clearly visible inside the plane’s cabin.
We will update this story as more details become available.
More World Cup on Yahoo Sports:
• Bushnell: Who’s to blame for Argentina disaster?
• Schaerlaeckens: Messi’s World Cup legacy is fizzling out
• Johannsson has no regrets about choosing USMNT over Iceland
• Underappreciated Pogba emblematic of why France is dangerous
• Schaerlaeckens: Time for Mexican fans to end homophobic chant