Belmont Stakes 2018: Post positions and opening odds for the final leg of the Triple Crown
- The race for the Triple Crown returns this weekend with the 150th running of the Belmont Stakes.
- On Tuesday, post positions were drawn, with Justify racing out of the first gate.
- The morning line odds were also set at the draw, with Justify as the heavy favorite at 4/5.
The 150th running of the Belmont Stakes is set for this weekend as Justify looks to continue his undefeated streak and make history as the 13th horse to ever win the Triple Crown.
So far, Justify has looked the part of a Triple Crown champion — taking home the Kentucky Derby against a talented field of 19 other horses, and earning a win at the Preakness two weeks later with another dominant run through the slop.
At the Belmont Stakes, nine other horses will look to play the role of spoiler to Justify's Triple Crown hopes.
Some will be familiar competition to Justify — he's already beaten the likes of Bravazo, Free Drop Billy, Hofburg, and Tenfold at previous events this year. There will also be some new horses in the crowd, including Gronkowski and Blended Citizen, both of whom will be running the Belmont on fresh legs — a substantial advantage for the longest race of the Triple Crown.
Since the field far less crowded than the Kentucky Derby, post position is far less crucial — horses can't be forced all the way to the outside or lost in a pack of 20 horses if they get out to a slow start. Still, the post draw makes each horse's starting position official, and the morning line odds provide a starting point for any bettors preparing their trifectas for Saturday.
Post positions were drawn on Tuesday, with the morning line odds being set shortly after.
You can see where every horse stands heading into the race below.
The 2018 Belmont Stakes is set for this Saturday, with a post time of 6:46 p.m.
- The 27 highest-paid players in the NBA for the 2017-18 season
- The San Francisco housing market is so dire that people are leaving in droves — here's where they're headed
- Ginger emoji are launching today, along with bagels, superheroes, and toilet paper