Ohio teen convicted in Charlottesville for beating black man

An Ohio teen has been convicted for viciously beating a black man during the unrest in Charlottesville, Va., last summer.

Daniel Borden, 19, entered a plea in connection with the violent Aug. 12, 2017, attack on DeAndre Harris at a Charlottesville parking garage.

Borden, who was set to go to trial next month, was reportedly known in his hometown for giving Nazi salutes, and was in Charlottesville for the white nationalist Unite the Right rally.

On Monday, he entered an Alford plea, which essentially admits prosecutors have enough evidence to secure a conviction. A judge subsequently found him guilty of assault.

This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.

“His argument is he didn’t have malice in his heart or mind when he did this,” his attorney, Mike Hallahan, told the C-Ville weekly newspaper.

Prosecutors reportedly identified him as the man striking Harris in a brutal video that went viral after the unrest.

He was arrested in Ohio nearly two weeks after hate group members violently clashed with counter protesters.

Authorities also said he wore a white hard hat to the rally that said “Commie Killer” and classmates in Ohio claim he threatened violent behavior.

One ex-classmate told authorities Borden called him “Jew Boy,” according to police reports cited by WCPO in Cincinnati.

Borden will be sentenced in October, according to reports, and became the third person convicted for the attack on Harris.

This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.

Jacob Goodwin and Alex Ramos, who were previously convicted of malicious wounding, will be sentenced in August, according to NBC affiliate WVIR. A fourth attacker will go to trial in July.

Harris was previously charged and acquitted of striking a neo-Confederate figure inside the parking garage.