Nurse charged in the death of H.R. McMaster’s father

A Philadelphia nurse was charged in connection with the death of former National Security Adviser H.R. Mcmaster's father at an assisted living center last month.

Christann Gainey, 30, is accused of doctoring reports that said she did neurological tests 20 minutes after H.R. McMaster, Sr., had already died, prosecutors said Thursday.

Prosecutors also said the licensed nurse left the 84-year-old military veteran to languish in a wheelchair for eight hours until his death.

"When a family selects a nursing care facility they expect that community to provide a warm, comfortable and safe place for their loved one to live and rehab," Pennsylvania Attorney General Josh Shapiro said at a news conference. "They don't expect for their loved one to be found dead in the lobby of a place that was supposed to care for them."

McMaster Sr. was admitted to the facility on April 9 to recover from a stroke.

Doctors warned he was prone to falls because of his condition, and he was found on the floor of his room just before midnight on April 12.

A nursing assistant who found him noted he had open wounds to his right temple and shoulder, according to the complaint.

The assistant flagged McMaster Sr.'s condition to Gainey after he put the retired Army officer back in his wheelchair.

Shapiro said Gainey had the octogenarian wheeled into the lobby of Cathedral Village.

She filled out a report saying she did the required "neurological evaluations" on the former Trump adviser's father, the complaint said.

(Christann Gainey via Pennsylvania Attorney General's Office)

But she never conducted that test or seven others Gainey was supposed to throughout the night, Shapiro said.

The attorney general said surveillance footage backed up the claim that Ganey never checked in on him.

The assistant noticed McMaster Sr. didn't seem to be breathing around 6:30 a.m. on April 13, but Gainey said "that he was okay," the court document claims.

McMaster Sr. died at 7 a.m., but his paperwork showed Gainey did a test at 7:20 a.m.

"Well, I falsified that one," the complaint quotes Gainey telling her boss. She "didn't want the next nurse to have to do them."

Cathedral Village was written up several times by health officials in the last four years, including seven in January 2017, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer.

Gainey was arrested without incident in Philadelphia on Thursday morning, charged with involuntary manslaughter and neglect.

Letitia McMaster, the victim's daughter, described him as "a tough and compassionate soldier and public servant."

"The best way to honor his memory is for all of us to do all we can to prevent others from suffering at the hands of those who lack compassion and abandon even the most basic standards of human decency," she said in a statement released by the attorney general's office. "Today's charges are an important step forward in that connection."