George H.W. Bush doing ‘much better’ in hospital

Former President George H.W. Bush is “much better,” one of his sons said, having spent the days after his wife’s funeral in the intensive care unit.

“The doctor said he’d be in the intensive care unit for a week or whatever,” Neil Bush told local ABC affiliate KTRK on Saturday of his 93-year-old father. “He came back in two days.”

The 41st President woke up last Sunday — one day after the funeral for First Lady Barbara Bush — with “a urinal tract infection, which turned into septic shock,” his son said.

Related: See George H.W. and Barbara Bush through their relationship:

He was removed from intensive care at Methodist Hospital on Wednesday, but family spokesman Jim McGrath indicated he’ll spend several more days at the Houston hospital — where he was concerned about the Houston Rockets’ playoff series against the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Those close to the former President indicated he plans to visit the family’s compound in Kennebunkport, Maine when he gets out of the hospital.

“Life goes on, quote, unquote,” Neil Bush, 63, told KTRK. “And it does.”

The Houston businessman added his father had a deep resolve to carry on after losing his wife of 73 years earlier this month.

“We're excited as a family and I know many of his friends are excited that he is going to go to Maine and live a full, happy and comfortable life as long as he can,” he added.

See the former president through the years: