Former Breitbart darling and alt-right troll Milo Yiannopoulos laid off staff at his eponymous entertainment company after losing its funding.
Following his resignation from Steve Bannon’s controversial and conservative news site in 2017, Yiannopoulos launched Milo Worldwide LLC, which also included Milo Entertainment Inc.
“He fired everybody,” a source familiar with the media company told Politico.
Among them was journalist Chadwick Moore, who had been laid off long before anyone told him about his dismissal. He spent those days with Yiannopoulos, who was supposed to inform the writer of the termination.
“I haven’t a clue what you’re talking about. I’m just an editor and the work continues,” he wrote in an email response to Milo Inc. CEO Alexander Macris, who alerted him to his dismissal.
Marcris was also laid off though both he and Moore still retain their interests in Milo Worldwide.
Yiannopoulos told Politico he let the pair go because the costs of their healthcare were too high, adding that he increased their compensation through Milo Worldwide to make up the difference.
At least another two full-time workers were let go.
The alt-right provacateur’s company took a hit last year after former patrons Robert and Rebekah Mercer cut ties and pulled their financial backing.
Yiannopoulos expected relief from cryptocurrency billionaire Matthew Mellon, but his unexpected death earlier this month has seemingly thrown a wrench in those plans.
Mellon was found dead April 16 from a suspected drug overdose, prompting Yiannopoulos to seek out additional financial backing.
The controversial writer and author also brushed off the layoffs as a minor setback, though some of his staff are “very, very furious” over the move.
“The video component of my daily show was stopped recently as the cost wasn’t justifiable,” he said. “Show is now only audio. But nothing has changed elsewhere or at Dangerous.com.”