Officers who shot Stephon Clark back on duty weeks after death

Two officers in the shooting of Stephon Clark are back on the job weeks after his death.

The pair at the Sacramento Police Department, who have not been officially identified, responded to a report of broken car windows on March 18, and shot Clark in the 22-year-old’s own backyard.

Police have said that officers thought Clark was holding a gun before they shot him, though only a cell phone was found.

An independent autopsy found he was shot eight times, with six shots in the back.

The officers were placed on administrative duty, though Black Lives Matter protests that have erupted in Northern California and across the country over the death of an unarmed man at the hands of police have said that they should be fired and criminally charged.

RELATED: Fatal police shooting of Stephon Clark

This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.

Sacramento County District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert said Wednesday that it could be more than a year before she decides whether to charge the officers, though the California Attorney General’s Office has also joined the investigation.

The police department told local news outlets Thursday that the pair were back at work, but were not put on patrol duty.

It was not immediately clear what their duties will be, or if they will remain on active duty.

Outrage led St. Anthony, Minn., officials to take back a similar move for Jeronimo Yanez, the officer who shot and killed Philando Castile, several weeks after his death in 2016.

The return to duty comes the same day that Stevante Clark, Stephon's brother who has been active in protests demanding justice, was arrested for allegedly making death threats.

He faces a court hearing on Friday.

The end of the officers' leave also follows the release dozens of videos of what happened that night, including those that show officers waited before giving Clark medical attention, earlier this week.

Police waited nearly five minutes before giving medical aide and asked questions about whether the young man, unmoving, was playing dead.

The videos also showed more confirmation from previously released footage that officers were told to mute their bodycameras, which they did more than a dozen times in the shooting’s aftermath.