Dana White: McGregor won't get my help after embarrassing rampage
Dana White says Conor McGregor shouldn’t run to him for help after the MMA icon was slapped with assault and criminal mischief charges in Brooklyn early Friday.
After calling McGregor’s attack on a bus at Barclays Center “disgusting” and questioning whether he was on drugs, the UFC president said the star fighter fully deserves the trouble he’s in and will “probably be a convicted felon.”
“Normally yes, I would dive right in and do everything in mypower to help one my guys, but not in this situation,” White said in the studio of ESPN’s “Get Up!” morning show in New York City. “He came into the Barclays Center, attacked our fighters and attacked my staff with a bunch of guys, and no, you don't get my help on this one.”
McGregor, 29, turned himself in at the 78th Precinct Stationhouse in Park Slope, Brooklyn, after he and his entourage were caught on video Thursday hurling chairs and dollies through the front windshield of a bus carrying several fellow MMA fighters inside the arena’s parking garage.
See photos from earlier:
McGregor and his crew showed up unexpectedly at Barclays Center, where fighters Khabib Nurmagomedov, Rose Namajunas, Al Iaquinta, Karolina Kowalkiewicz, Ray Borg and Michael Chiesa appeared for a promotional event before a series of fights scheduled for Saturday evening.
Nurmajomedov, who got into a reported hotel scuffle with longtme McGregor training partner Artem Lobov, was on the bus with the other fighters, which caused McGregor’ blowup. One of McGregor’s cohorts also allegedly threw a chair through the bus’s windshield.
Lobov was with McGregor during the chaos.
White said the shattered glass cut Norg’s eye. Chiesa was also cut up and bloodied in the brouhaha, according to TMZ. The UFC canceled both fighters’ bouts, along with Lobov’s.
White said he later texted with McGregor, whose anger toward Nurmagomedov appeared unabated.
“We had a text session yesterday that was not very good. Most of the things I would rather not say and probably can't say on TV,” White said. “He was apologetic toward Rose because Rose was very upset, and Mike Chiesa. He was apologetic about the eople he wasn't trying to hurt but he felt that the Khabib thing had to be done.”
White denied that the altercation was a publicity stunt for the UFC and for McGregor, who was stripped of his lightweight title on Wednesday due to inactivity.
“This is the last stunt on earth we would ever pull,” White said. “This is embarrassing for the sport, obviously for the UFC, and this is furthest thing from a stunt. Stunts don't get people thrown in jail ith coutns of criminal activity.”
McGregor has been charged with three counts of assault and one count of criminal mischief, cops said. Cian Cowley, 25, McGregor’s friend and fellow Irishman, was also charged with assault and criminal mischief, according to police.
White said he had been working on a new mega-deal with McGregor, but those plans have now been scrapped after what White termed “the worst thing ever that’s happened” in UFC history.
“The big question everybody's been asking me — 'Are you firing Conor McGregor?' — this is bigger than Conor McGregor getting fired,” White said. “There's so many more moving pieces to this thing. It's so bad. The guy had to turn himself in and he's probably going to be a convicted felon when this is over.”
“His passport was tagged so he couldn’t get on his private jet to fly back to Ireland. Conor’s in a lot of trouble,” he added.