Former Miami Dolphin Jonathan Martin charged with making criminal threats

Former NFL offensive lineman Jonathan Martin is facing four charges of making criminal threats and one count of carrying a loaded firearm in the aftermath of his threatening Instagram post last month.

Los Angeles Police Department spokesman Josh Rubenstein told NFL.com a warrant has been issued for Martin's arrest and that police have been in contact with the 28-year-old's attorney.

Martin was detained by police on Feb. 23 after his post on social media forced his alma mater high school to shut down for the day. A pair of Harvard-Westlake High School campuses, in Los Angeles suburbs Studio City and Beverly Crest, were closed as a result of the post.

The threat posted to Martin's Instagram account read, "When you're a bully victim & a coward, your options are suicide, or revenge."

The post also included an image of a shotgun and shells, with four social media accounts tagged and hashtags for Harvard-Westlake and the Miami Dolphins.

This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.

Among the four names tagged were former Dolphins teammates Richie Incognito and Mike Pouncey. Incognito and Pouncey were accused by Martin of bullying following incidents in 2013. Incognito was suspended by the team for three months after Martin left the club midway through the 2013 season.

Harvard-Westlake School has since filed a workplace violence prevention restraining order against Martin, according to ESPN. Multiple reports have said Martin checked into a mental health facility the same day he was detained.

Martin attended Harvard-Westlake before going on to Stanford. He hasn't played in the NFL since 2015.

--Field Level Media

This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.