Mike Pence on Porter scandal: ‘White House could have handled this better’

Vice President Mike Pence on Wednesday admitted that the White House could have done a better job in how it handled the Rob Porter situation.

Pence said at an event organized by Axios, that the Trump administration has “no tolerance for domestic violence.”

He soon after acknowledged that “the White House could have handled this better.”

His comments echo a statement White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders made earlier this week.

“I agree that there are things we could have done better,” she said at a Monday press briefing. “And we’re going to continue to look at the process and the role we all played, and how we can do it better…”

Porter resigned from his position of staff secretary last week amid allegations that he had physically abused his two ex-wives.

This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.

In the time since, there have been a number of questions about how long the White House was aware of the allegations and why they weren’t acted upon sooner, notes The Hill.

Much of the criticism has been directed at chief of staff John Kelly.

However, Pence on Wednesday was supportive of Kelly in general, noting, “John Kelly has done a remarkable job as chief of staff for the president of the United States and I look forward to working with him for many, many months to come.”