Texas woman dies from flesh-eating bacteria after eating raw oysters
A Texas woman died last October after contracting a flesh-eating bacteria during a trip to visit her family in Louisiana.
Jeanette LeBlanc grew ill after going crabbing and then eating two dozen raw oysters with her friend purchased from a market in Westwego, KLFY reported.
LeBlanc's friend Vicki Bergquist told the local station that the 55-year-old appeared to just be having an allergic reaction to the oysters at first.
RELATED: Deadliest contagious, infectious diseases
But LeBlanc was hospitalized within the next 48 hours after her conditioned worsened, and she was diagnosed with vibriosis. She died 21 days later on Oct. 15.
According to the Center for Disease Control, vibriosis is a bacterial infection that causes roughly 80,000 illnesses and 100 deaths in the United States annually.
The CDC also notes that people who contract the deadly disease can experience symptoms like diarrhea and vomiting, and more serious infections can lead to intensive care or limb amputation.
"She had severe wounds on her legs from that bacteria," Bergquist told KLFY.
"If we had known that the risk was so high, I think she would've stopped eating oysters," she said.