The Patriots attempted one of the worst onside kicks you'll ever see
- The New England Patriots looked terrible on Monday night but were still alive in the final minute.
- Unfortunately for the Patriots, Stephen Gostkowski's onside kick attempt looked half-hearted, at best.
- Jon Gruden called it "the most bizarre onside kick" he's ever seen.
The New England Patriots had one of their worst offensive performances ever during the Tom Brady era against the on Monday night against the Miami Dolphins, and yet they were still in the game until the end. That is, until the onside kick.
The Patriots only gained two yards in the first quarter, their worst showing since Brady's first season as a starter, and they went 0-11 on third downs, something a Brady-led team has never done. And yet, after a field goal in the final minute, the Pats trailed the Dolphins by seven and needed just to recover an onside kick for a shot to send the game to overtime.
Then this happened:
What. Was. That?
That literally looked like Stephen Gostkowski was throwing a temper tantrum and decided to ignore Bill Belichick's order to actually attempt a reasonable onside kick.
ESPN commentator Jon Gruden may have summed it up best, saying: "That's the most bizarre onside kick I've seen."
Needless to say, the Dolphins recovered and won the game.
- Tom Brady is making a mockery of the NFL at an age when most quarterbacks are in a rocking chair
- The best value plays in your DraftKings lineup for Week 14 of the NFL season
- Saints head coach Sean Payton is under fire after making 'choking' gesture at an opposing player