Arkansas police department deletes overhyped warning about fentanyl after it goes viral

A dangerous warning posted by a police department in Arkansas about fentanyl on shopping carts quickly went viral, but has since been deleted over concerns the guidance was overblown and not a genuine threat.

Earlier this week, the Leachville Police Department shared an alert urging the public to wipe down their shopping cart handles before using them. In the post, the department said deadly drugs, namely fentanyl, could be left behind on the handle and enter the next person’s body through skin contact.

"All you'd have to do is rub your nose or touch your child's mouth," the department wrote. "Children just being exposed to the powder or residue is a bad situation that can turn deadly."

However, while some experts say the accidental ingestion is technically possible, most say it would be highly unlikely to occur from a person touching a cart handle.

RELATED: Learn more about fentanyl

7 PHOTOS
Learn more about fentanyl
See Gallery
Learn more about fentanyl

Fentanyl Citrate, a CLASS II Controlled Substance as classified by the Drug Enforcement Agency in the secure area of a local hospital Friday, July10, 2009.

(Photo By Joe Amon/The Denver Post via Getty Images)

A seized counterfeit hydrocodone tablets in the investigation of a rash of fentanyl overdoses in northern California is shown in this Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) photo released on April 4, 2016. At least 42 drug overdoses in the past two weeks have been reported in northern California, 10 of them fatal, in what authorities on Monday called the biggest cluster of poisonings linked to the powerful synthetic narcotic fentanyl ever to hit the U.S. West Coast.

(Drug Enforcement Administration/Handout via Reuters)

Fentanyl Citrate, a CLASS II Controlled Substance as classified by the Drug Enforcement Agency in the secure area of a local hospital Friday, July10, 2009.

(Photo By Joe Amon/The Denver Post via Getty Images)

Dory Bauler's unused Fentanyl patch packets. She is one of millions of patients who used the fentanyl patch, which delivers a powerful narcotic through the skin. The patch, brand name Duragesic, was the subject of a recent FDA alert. Patients are overdosing, sometimes they die. Mrs. Bauler came off the patch when she realized the drug was causing her breathing problems, a sign of serious trouble. This photo was taken at her home in Laguna Woods.

(Photo by Glenn Koenig/Los Angeles Times via Getty Images)

A small bag of straight Fentanyl on display at the State Crime Lab at the Ohio Attorney General's headquarters of the Bureau of Criminal Investigation on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 in London, Ohio.

(Photo by Ty Wright for/ For The Washington Post via Getty Images)

'If I don't put these on, it hurts to breathe,' says Smitty Anderson wearing Fentanyl patches to help him deal with the pain caused by multiple myeloma cancer, a blood cancer that affects the bones. Anderson worked at Savannah River Site from 1981 to 1998. The Andersons filed claims to get federal compensation for his disease, which he said came from working at the nuclear site. He had no luck. 'We've been going through so much red tape for years,' he said. 'My wife has to do all the work now. I just don't have the strength anymore.' He died on Nov. 5, 2015.

(Gerry Melendez/The State/TNS via Getty Images)

HIDE CAPTION
SHOW CAPTION
of
SEE ALL
BACK TO SLIDE

Dr. Christopher Hoyte, associate medical director for the Rocky Mountain Poison and Drug Center and faculty member for the Department of Emergency Medicine at the University of Colorado School of Medicine, told CBS News he can't say it's "impossible," but said that the claim is "very improbable."

"I never say never, but it is highly, highly, highly, unlikely someone could become that systemically ill just from having fentanyl touch their skin," Hoyte told the outlet. "It's not absorbed just touching it."

"I will say if they touched it and then rubbed their nose and breathed it in through that way that would be a possibility," he added.

Franklin County Lt. Scott Reed from the Multi-County Narcotics and Violent Crimes Unit told WKYC that the chances of being poisoned by fentanyl from touching a grocery cart are highly unlikely.

He further told the outlet, that if a user had enough of the drug in their system to the point that it could transfer to another, they would be unconscious.

The police department has since deleted that post and apologized for the confusion.

Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.