Video shows bear roaming neighborhood streets

WILKES-BARRE (WNEP) -- An unusual and unexpected visitor caused quite the commotion in one neighborhood throughout the morning and into the afternoon on Wednesday in Wilkes-Barre.

A bear had to be tranquilized after running through some streets in an area near the Susquehanna River.

A 170-pound adult male bear lay motionless on the ground after it was hit with a tranquilizer by conservation officers from the state Game Commission this afternoon in Wilkes-Barre.

The Game Commission found the bear, believed to be about two and half years old, in a backyard on Mallery Place after people reported seeing the bear running around on nearby streets throughout the morning, including Riverside Drive along the Susquehanna River.

RELATED: Animals that vastly out-live humans

Animals that vastly out-live humans
See Gallery
Animals that vastly out-live humans

Tuatara: Up to 100 years

(Photo via Getty Images)

Orange Roughy: Up to 100 years

(Photo by Karen Gowlett-Holmes via Getty Images)

Blue Whale: 110 years

(Photo via Getty Images)

Lake Sturgeon: Females up to 150 years

(Photo via Getty Images)

Aldabara Tortoise: 152 years in captivity

(Photo credit ANDREAS SOLARO/AFP/Getty Images)

Geoduck: 165 years

(Photo by Gary Sergraves via Getty Images)

Giant Galapagos Tortoise: 175 years

(Photo via Getty Images)

Red Sea Urchin: May reach 200 years

(Photo via Getty Images)

Rougheye Rockfish: 205 years

(Photo via Wikipedia/Public Domain)

Bowhead Whale: Over 200 years

(Photo via Wikipedia/Public Domain)

Lamellibrachia Tubeworms: Up to 250 years

(Photo via Wikipedia)

Greenland Shark: 400 years

(Photo by Franco Banfi via Getty Images)

Ocean Quahog: 507 years

(Photo by Andrew J Martinez via Getty Images)


“I was pretty surprised and pretty amazed. I got pretty good video of him, so,” said Jatanna Hewitt.

“He was right there and I'm saying, mom, mom, it's right there, mom, mom and it's right there and it crossed there and I'm terrified,” said Jatanna’s very excited nine-year-old son Seth. “It's right there and I'm backing up and I get my sandal's on and I'm saying, I'm not letting my mom get mauled by that.”

Jeanette Garber was doing her dishes when she saw the bear her backyard then conservation officers followed to tranquilize it.

“There were quite a lot, maybe half a dozen men by the time they got the cage and took it out,” said Garber. The Game Commission says because of the upcoming bear hunting season and because the bear now had tranquilizer in its system, when it tagged the bear's ear, it included the warning of “Do not eat”.

Neighbors who missed the excitement were pretty let down.

“We just moved from the mountains of Virginia and all the years we lived there, I've near seen a bear,” said Claribell Kenney.

The Game Commission says the bear was taken to state game lands near Ricketts Glen.

Read Full Story