Town council candidate facing backlash for controversial Las Vegas Facebook post

SOUTH WINDSOR (WTIC) – A local woman running for town council is getting some backlash after a Facebook status she posted and then deleted.

However, someone took a screenshot of it and since then, it has been shared all over social media. Her post was in reaction to the tragedy in Las Vegas, but town officials said she took it too far.

Town Council candidate, Ritu Goel of South Windsor wrote, “Prayers to Las Vegas. People who are in favor of guns should have been on that strip.”

“I was in shock. I couldn’t believe what I was reading,” said Councilwoman Cindy Beaulieu.

Shortly after the post was put up, Goel deleted it but it was too late. People were already frustrated and upset.

“Something like this is very divisive and contrary to our beliefs,” said Mayor Carolyn Mirek.

In response, Mayor Mirek posted a YouTube video to let everyone know Goel’s post does not represent the town’s views.

The South Windsor Republican Town Committee also reacted and wrote #PromotePeace.

“It’s appalling. I’ve gotten numerous emails and texts and Facebook messages from people very appalled and frustrated,” added Mayor Mirek.

FOX61 went to Goel’s home in South Windsor and knocked on her door several times but got no reply. Mayor Mirek said Goel was at Monday’s Public Input meeting and brought up the post and said it came out of anger.

However, town officials responded and said that is no excuse.

Councilman Matthew Riley also came forward and issued a statement that said, “Ritu Goel’s comments are hers and hers alone. They do not reflect the values embedded in the character of this community.”

“You can delete a post and you can say you didn’t mean it. At the end of the day, those words were there,” added Beaulieu.

The mayor said the town manager is well aware of the situation and said it is up to Goel to make up for what she said. FOX61 also reached out to Goel through Facebook and by phone, but did not get a reply back.

RELATED: See the devastating images of the Las Vegas shooting

11 PHOTOS
The most devastating images from the Las Vegas concert shooting
See Gallery
The most devastating images from the Las Vegas concert shooting
LAS VEGAS, NV - OCTOBER 01: A man lays on top of a woman as others flee the Route 91 Harvest country music festival grounds after a active shooter was reported on October 1, 2017 in Las Vegas, Nevada. A gunman has opened fire on a music festival in Las Vegas, leaving at least 2 people dead. Police have confirmed that one suspect has been shot. The investigation is ongoing. (Photo by David Becker/Getty Images)
LAS VEGAS, NV - OCTOBER 01: People run from the Route 91 Harvest country music festival after apparent gun fire was hear on October 1, 2017 in Las Vegas, Nevada. A gunman has opened fire on a music festival in Las Vegas, leaving at least 20 people dead and more than 100 injured. Police have confirmed that one suspect has been shot. The investigation is ongoing. (Photo by David Becker/Getty Images)
LAS VEGAS, NV - OCTOBER 02: A cowboy hat lays in the street after shots were fired near a country music festival on October 1, 2017 in Las Vegas, Nevada. A gunman has opened fire on a music festival in Las Vegas, leaving at least 20 people dead and more than 100 injured. Police have confirmed that one suspect has been shot. The investigation is ongoing. (Photo by David Becker/Getty Images)
LAS VEGAS, NV - OCTOBER 01: People run for cover at the Route 91 Harvest country music festival after apparent gun fire was heard on October 1, 2017 in Las Vegas, Nevada. There are reports of an active shooter around the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino. (Photo by David Becker/Getty Images)
LAS VEGAS, NV - OCTOBER 01:  A person lies on the ground covered with blood at the Route 91 Harvest country music festival after apparent gun fire was heard on October 1, 2017 in Las Vegas, Nevada. There are reports of an active shooter around the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino. (Photo by David Becker/Getty Images)
LAS VEGAS, NV - OCTOBER 01:  A person lies on the ground at the Route 91 Harvest country music festival after apparent gun fire was heard on October 1, 2017 in Las Vegas, Nevada. There are reports of an active shooter around the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino. (Photo by David Becker/Getty Images)
LAS VEGAS, NV - OCTOBER 01: (People carry a peson at the Route 91 Harvest country music festival after apparent gun fire was heard on October 1, 2017 in Las Vegas, Nevada. There are reports of an active shooter around the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino. (Photo by David Becker/Getty Images)
LAS VEGAS, NV - OCTOBER 01: People take cover at the Route 91 Harvest country music festival after apparent gun fire was heard on October 1, 2017 in Las Vegas, Nevada. There are reports of an active shooter around the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino. (Photo by David Becker/Getty Images)
LAS VEGAS, NV - OCTOBER 01: A man in a wheelchair is taken away from the Route 91 Harvest country music festival after apparent gun fire was heard on October 1, 2017 in Las Vegas, Nevada. There are reports of an active shooter around the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino. (Photo by David Becker/Getty Images)
HIDE CAPTION
SHOW CAPTION
of
SEE ALL
BACK TO SLIDE

Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.