Hillary Clinton admits she ’had not drafted a concession speech’ on election night
Hillary Clinton has revealed that she had not prepared a concession speech the night she lost the 2016 election.
During a broadcast of “CBS Sunday Morning,” host Jane Pauley pointed out that the country had still not heard from the defeated presidential candidate by the morning after the election, and Clinton admitted, “I had not drafted a concession speech. I had been working on a victory speech.”
RELATED: Before-and-after images show extent of Hurricane Harvey damage
According to Politico, she also writes in her new book “What Happened” that her call conceding the election to her opponent Donald Trump was “without a doubt one of the strangest moments of my life.”
“I congratulated Trump and offered to do anything I could to make sure the transition was smooth," Clinton says about the call. "It was all perfectly nice and weirdly ordinary, like calling a neighbor to say you can’t make it to his barbecue. It was mercifully brief…I was numb. It was all so shocking.”
Clinton told Pauley that she had also called then-President Obama, saying, “I felt like I had let everybody down.”
Despite taking much of the blame for her loss, CNN notes she attributes some of her campaign’s problems on sexism, writing in her book, “What makes me such a lightning rod for fury? I’m really asking. I’m at a loss. I think it’s partly because I’m a woman.”