Air freshener causes parked car to explode with passenger inside

Rescue workers are blaming a can of air freshener and a cigarette for the explosion that blew out a car's doors, windows and even its roof early Wednesday afternoon.

"The explosion happened after a build-up of gases from an air freshener was accidentally ignited by a cigarette," Essex Fire and Rescue Service told the BBC.

RELATED: Man's hand sewn into his stomach after work accident

7 PHOTOS
Man's hand sewn into his stomach after work accident
See Gallery
Man's hand sewn into his stomach after work accident
HIDE CAPTION
SHOW CAPTION
of
SEE ALL
BACK TO SLIDE

The Southend Echo reports that a woman had been sitting in the Ford Focus outside a B&Q, a chain of home improvement stores, in Southend, Essex, when the sudden blast took place.

"Just missed witnessing car explosion near Southend. Very loud bang," Albert Quixall tweeted. "Ford Focus doors, windscreen, roof blown out. B&Q staff rushing to help."

Fire services, police and an ambulance were dispatched immediately.

The victim was treated at the scene then taken to Southend University Hospital. She suffered only minor injuries despite the devastating outcome the incident had on the car.

Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.