Toddler dies after getting his neck stuck in car window
LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WXIN) -- One week after closing his own neck in the window of a car on accident, two-and-a-half-year-old Logan Vanderkleed, of Lafayette, has died.
According to a Facebook page documenting Logan's hospital stay, he passed away early Thursday morning after being treated at Riley Children's Hospital for the past week.
His parents, Drew and Lisa Vanderkleed, said they are drawing strength from God and their community.
"Out of all this, I hope when people look at us, and our composure, I hope they don't really see us, but they see that its Christ in us," said Drew, "that he is holding us up."
See photos of the family:
Logan got his neck stuck in the window of a vehicle while his dad was working on a family farm.
Lisa said in a Facebook post that the children were taking a nap in a vehicle with the AC on, while their father was cleaning out another vehicle next to them. Logan somehow rolled down the window and accidentally rolled it up with an automatic button.
He was reportedly not breathing when he was found and was without a pulse for a significant amount of time as medical personnel gave him CPR.
Logan was airlifted to Riley Hospital for Children and reportedly showed low levels of brain function due to the time frame doctors believed he was without a pulse.
On Monday, Logan still had a low-level of brain activity, but doctors did not declare him brain dead.
On Wednesday evening, Logan was prepped and entered surgery to preserve his heart valves. After doctors thought he would be able to transplant his kidneys to a victim in Texas, they were unable to use them.
His family said Logan was breathing on his own following the surgery. At 1:07 a.m. as family and friends sang worship songs in his hospital room, Logan passed away. Doctors were able to preserve his heart valves for a future donation. Lisa posted a clay imprint made from his hand and a foot.