MTA officials accused of storing dead bodies in employee break rooms


If you thought your NYC commute was a waking nightmare, just wait until you hear this.

Multiple disturbing reports have surfaced accusing the MTA of temporarily storing the bodies of subway fatalities inside the rooms where employees take their breaks and even eat their lunches.

LaShawn Jones, 52, who used to work as a station agent for the MTA, told WPIX that a few years ago, she walked into an employee restroom and was horrified to see a dead body openly being kept inside.

According to the outlet, the person had committed suicide a short time before Jones' shift.

While EMS personnel were also in the bathroom with the corpse, Jones claims there were no signs indicating the bathroom was occupied or out of order.

"Very disturbing," recalled Jones. "That was disgusting. That was just horrible, just horrible."

Even more disturbing, Jones claims that when she went back to use the restroom later on in the day, a "bloody mess" was left behind in the bathroom sink.

"Hair and scalp and basically body parts," she told the New York Post. "The fact I had to experience that was disgusting."

According to Transport Workers Union Local 100, the MTA workers' union, this type of incident happens more frequently than the average citizen would like to believe.

A union source told the Post that this is because, in an effort to resume train service as quickly as possible after an accident or suicide, bodies are simply carted off to “whatever room happens to be nearest."

"If a lunch room is the nearest, they’ll put it in the lunch room," the source said.

WPIX reports that the MTA has confirmed this has been a long-standing practice and says there appears to be limited solutions.

An MTA spokesperson said in a statement that it is "of the utmost importance" that the body of anyone who dies in the subway is removed as quickly as possible.

Although the issue has been brought to the attention of supervisors in the past, TWU Local 100 claims nothing about the controversial practice has changed.

The union says they blame the city's Medical Examiner's office, claiming that delays in picking up deceased individuals is leading to MTA facilities being used to hold corpses for up to two hours.

In a statement, a city spokesperson said, "This Administration has invested $11M to increase staffing at the medical examiner's office, which has allowed for examiners to arrive at emergency scenes faster than ever before. The medical examiner and NYPD are committed to reducing our response times even further to ensure both the humane treatment of the deceased and the health of subway workers and straphangers."