More than 200 sick after eating at Ohio doughnut shop

More than 200 people are sick after eating at a local doughnut shop, according to the Toledo-Lucas County Health Department.

Health department officials told 13abc Thursday that St. Luke's Hospital received an influx of emergency room visits with one common denominator: all patients had eaten at Mama C's, a coffee shop located in Maumee, Ohio, between Aug. 4 and Aug. 7.

RELATED: Norovirus outbreak that sickened dozens of kids linked to school salad bar

5 PHOTOS
Norovirus outbreak that sickened dozens of kids linked to school salad bar
See Gallery
Norovirus outbreak that sickened dozens of kids linked to school salad bar
An elementary school in Denver will go through two deep cleanings after an outbreak of the norovirus.
An elementary school in Denver will go through two deep cleanings after an outbreak of the norovirus.
An elementary school in Denver will go through two deep cleanings after an outbreak of the norovirus.
An elementary school in Denver will go through two deep cleanings after an outbreak of the norovirus.
HIDE CAPTION
SHOW CAPTION
of
SEE ALL
BACK TO SLIDE

The health department tested specimens from the shop and discovered three positive results for norovirus, a stomach virus that causes nausea, diarrhea, stomach pain and fevers.

Norovirus affects 19 million to 21 million Americans a year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. While it usually entails a few sick days, it can be fatal for the very young, the very old or those with compromised immune systems.

When it comes to spreading within restaurant settings, infected food workers are usually the source, according to the CDC. The doughnut shop has been closed since Tuesday and is undergoing a deep clean as health inspection officials try to determine the source of the outbreak.

Copyright 2017 U.S. News & World Report


Read Full Story