The last text sent by a Texas teen who was electrocuted while taking a bath is as heartbreaking as it gets


Police have revealed the last text 14-year-old Madison Coe would send before being electrocuted while taking a bath last Sunday, and it is heartbreaking.

RELATED: Tragedy struck when a teenager reached for her phone while in the bath

Watch the video

The Lubbock, Texas, teen, who was visiting her father in Lovington, N.M., it was determined, "either plugged her phone in or simply grabbed her phone that was already plugged in," electrocuting her to death.

The girl's grandmother Donna O'Guinn told KCBD that "[t]here was a burn mark on her hand, the hand that would have grabbed the phone. And that was just very obvious that that's what had happened."

A photo released by the Lovington Police Department shows what Coe sent to a friend just before she died.


Lovington Police Department

"When you use and extension cord so you can plug your phone in while you're in the bath," she texted, along with a photo of the phone charger setup.

According to KCBD, Coe did not immerse her phone in water and "took precautions to keep the connection of the cords dry," but "touched the frayed extension cord while she was in the bathtub."

It is believed that the girl had no knowledge that the cord was frayed.

RELATED: Two 14-year-old girls walking on the side of the road are now dead because she just couldn't wait to send that text

A GoFundMe campaign that was started for Coe one week ago has raised more than $12,000.

Coe was going to be a freshman in high school this fall.

6 PHOTOS
Texas teen dies after using phone while taking bath
See Gallery
Texas teen dies after using phone while taking bath
Family issues warning after teen girl dies when charging cellphone falls into bathtub https://t.co/NwCfofNrSM
Madison Coe was electrocuted after she either grabbed her phone that was plugged in or plugged in her phone. https://t.co/iSdcOePgUD
A Texas teen killed, electrocuted in bathtub after reaching for phone, her family says. https://t.co/cNMgAf9V2S https://t.co/FCi6lvLbjV
14-year-old girl electrocuted when cell phone drops in bathtub https://t.co/lOwQk4RLYb https://t.co/XSCi4Zckgo
14-year-old girl electrocuted when cellphone falls into bathtub https://t.co/uoU9hiv41l https://t.co/UZcxI3yy42
HIDE CAPTION
SHOW CAPTION
of
SEE ALL
BACK TO SLIDE

More from Rare:
Reebok just made their position on Donald Trump known by taking a shot at his French Trip in a tweet
The brutal obituary for an 82-year-old mom written by "my sisters" has a son at a loss for words
Meet the bug whose sting is so bad that all you can do is lie down and scream — yes, really

Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.