Michigan man recovering from venomous bite, believes it was a brown recluse

BATTLE CREEK, Mich. (WXMI) – A man from Battle Creek is recovering from a venomous spider bite that he believes was from a brown recluse. Bites from brown recluses can cause flesh to rot and can be deadly.

Dan Riippa says it happened last month. He noticed the bite while golfing with a friend. He believes he got the bite while doing yard work.

"I had put on my muck boot and pulled my pant leg up and noticed a scratch," Riippa said. "But I didn't think much of it. I stuck my leg back in and that's when I think there was probably a brown recluse."

See photos from this story

6 PHOTOS
Battle Creek man recovering from venomous bite, believes it was a brown recluse
See Gallery
Battle Creek man recovering from venomous bite, believes it was a brown recluse
HIDE CAPTION
SHOW CAPTION
of
SEE ALL
BACK TO SLIDE

Dan stayed in the hospital for two days getting intravenous antibiotics. He says infectious disease doctors believe it was a brown recluse spider bite, but without examining the actual spider's body, they can't say for sure that it was one.

It's just one of several reported bites in Michigan this year, with other cases in Genesee and Saginaw Counties.

Dan hopes others will be able to avoid going through his venomous ordeal.

SEE ALSO: Poisonous brown recluse spiders are coming out of hiding for the summer

"Obviously there are some venomous spiders in Michigan now and I think we all need to be aware of the fact that they are here," says Riippa.

Doctors advise anyone who thinks they may have been bitten by a venomous spider to seek medical attention.

Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.