Funeral home shut down after maggots, unrefrigerated bodies found on premises

A funeral home in Flint, Michigan, was shut down after maggots were found in a garage where unrefrigerated bodies were being stored, according to Michigan's Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA.)

LARA says that it suspended the mortuary science license of Swanson Funeral Home over a number of "deplorable, unsanitary conditions and violations" observed at the property.

Inspectors reportedly found unrefrigerated human bodies that were left in a garage for up to five months and blood and fluid-stained casket pillows in a hallway.

They also noted the smell of decomposing bodies throughout the premises, according to WXYZ.

Julia Dale, LARA's Securities & Commercial Licensing Bureau Director, addressed the disturbing code violations in a statement on Wednesday.

"Michigan residents trust funeral home directors, owners, and their establishments to follow the law especially when dealing with the death of a loved one," she said.

"We will continue to aggressively hold every funeral home in Michigan to the highest standards of public health and safety when providing final arrangements."

According to LARA, Swanson could be subject to fines of up to $10,000 for each violation of the occupational code.

Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.