Keith Olbermann links old Trump tweet to son's meeting with Russian lawyer

Keith Olbermann appears to be claiming that an old tweet by President Trump could be an indication he knew his son and campaign associates had met with a Russian source about Hillary Clinton.

On Monday, the liberal commentator wrote on Twitter, "Hmm...Trump's very 1ST tweet about [Hillary Clinton's] 'missing 33,000 emails' appears to be from 6/9/16, after Manafort, Kushner, Don Jr met the Russian."

The post also includes a screenshot of the referenced tweet in which Trump says, "How long did it take your staff of 823 people to think that up—and where are your 33,000 emails that you deleted?"

Olbermann circled the date and time of that message in red—6/9/16 at 4:40pm.

That is the same day the New York Times recently reported a meeting took place between a Russian lawyer named Natalia Veselnitskaya and members of the Trump team including son Donald Trump Jr., then-campaign chairman Paul Manafort, and son-in-law Jared Kushner.

According to the publication, "The accounts of the meeting represent the first public indication that at least some in the campaign were willing to accept Russian help."

While Trump Jr. had initially indicated the meeting had been about the adoption of Russian kids in the U.S., he later admitted that they discussed the election, telling the Times, "the woman stated that she had information that individuals connected to Russia were funding the Democratic National Committee and supporting Mrs. Clinton."

See more on Donald Trump:

However, he added, "Her statements were vague, ambiguous and made no sense. No details or supporting information was provided or even offered. It quickly became clear that she had no meaningful information."

He has also reportedly claimed that his father did not know about the interaction nor did anything result from it.

Despite the recent revelations, some, like the Daily Dot, have cast doubts about Olbermann's argument that Trump's post and the meeting are linked.

The site points out that on June 9, 2016, Trump and Clinton had exchanged critical tweets against each other; it also says that in March 2015 Clinton had already admitted to leaving out more than 30,000 emails in the ones submitted to the State Department.