Defense Secretary James Mattis told reporters at the Pentagon on Thursday that despite North Korea demonstrating its ability to hit the mainland US with a nuclear missile, the US came no closer to war with the rogue state.
"I do not believe this capability in itself brings us closer to war," Mattis said of North Korea's recent intercontinental ballistic missile test, as Fox News notes.
Mattis said the U.S. would continue to focus on a diplomatic solution to the North Korean crisis.
RELATED: North Korea's Missiles
"The president has been very clear and the secretary of state's been very clear that we are leading with diplomatic and economic efforts," said Mattis.
Mattis did warn that "any effort by North Korea to start a war would lead to severe consequences," a war that he previously characterized as being winnable, but at an extreme human toll.
More from Business Insider: