Norwegian mass killer Breivik appeals to European court of human rights


OSLO (Reuters) - Norwegian mass killer Anders Behring Breivik, who has legally changed his name to Fjotolf Hansen, has filed an appeal to the European court of human rights against his prison conditions, his lawyer was quoted as saying on Thursday.

Earlier this month, the Norwegian Supreme Court declined to take up an appeal lodged by the anti-Muslim far-right extremist, who killed 77 people in Norway's worst peacetime atrocity in July, 2011.

See more photos of Anders below:

14 PHOTOS
Mass killer Anders Behring Breivik
See Gallery
Mass killer Anders Behring Breivik
A photograph of Norwegian attack suspect Anders Behring Breivik is broadcast by Norwegian television July 23, 2011. Police detained the tall, blond suspect, named by local media as Anders Behring Breivik, and charged him for the killing spree and the bombing of government buildings in Oslo. A suspected far-right gunman in police uniform killed at least 84 people in a ferocious attack on a youth summer camp of Norway's ruling Labour party, hours after a bomb killed seven in Oslo.REUTERS/TV2 Norway via Reuters TV (NORWAY - Tags: CRIME LAW HEADSHOT) FOR EDITORIAL USE ONLY. NOT FOR SALE FOR MARKETING OR ADVERTISING CAMPAIGNS. THIS IMAGE HAS BEEN SUPPLIED BY A THIRD PARTY. IT IS DISTRIBUTED, EXACTLY AS RECEIVED BY REUTERS, AS A SERVICE TO CLIENTS. NORWAY OUT. NO COMMERCIAL OR EDITORIAL SALES INNORWAY
Anders Behring Breivik, 32, who according to local media was arrested by police after the shooting in Utoeya, is seen in this handout photo released to Reuters on July 23, 2011. A gunman dressed in police uniform shot dead at least 84 people at a youth summer camp of Norway's ruling political party, hours after a bomb killed seven in the government district in the capital Oslo. Witnesses said the gunman, identified by police as a 32-year-old Norwegian who they believed was also linked to the bombing, moved across the small, wooded Utoeya holiday island on Friday firing at random as young people scattered in fear. REUTERS/Scanpix Sweden/Handout (SWEDEN - Tags: HEADSHOT CRIME LAW IMAGES OF THE DAY) FOR EDITORIAL USE ONLY. NOT FOR SALE FOR MARKETING OR ADVERTISING CAMPAIGNS. THIS IMAGE HAS BEEN SUPPLIED BY A THIRD PARTY. IT IS DISTRIBUTED, EXACTLY AS RECEIVED BY REUTERS, AS A SERVICE TO CLIENTS. MANDATORY CREDIT. SWEDEN OUT. NO COMMERCIAL OR EDITORIAL SALES IN SWEDEN
A picture of Anders Behring Breivik taken from a book downloaded from a link posted on the Norwegian discussion website, www.freak.no, and entitled "2083 - A European Declaration of Independence", is seen in this screen grab made July 23, 2011. The 2083 book is signed by an Andrew Berwick, the author says within the document that Andrew Berwick is an Anglicised version of Anders Breivik. Anders Behring Breivik, 32, was arrested after Friday's massacre of young people on a tiny forested holiday island that was hosting the annual summer camp for the youth wing of Norway's ruling Labour party. Breivik, a Norwegian, was also charged with the bombing of Oslo's government district that killed seven people hours earlier. It was not possible to verify who uploaded link to the book, which was posted on July 22. REUTERS/Andrew Berwick via www.freak.no/Handout (NORWAY - Tags: CRIME LAW IMAGES OF THE DAY) FOR EDITORIAL USE ONLY. NOT FOR SALE FOR MARKETING OR ADVERTISING CAMPAIGNS
Norwegian Anders Behring Breivik, the man accused of a killing spree and bomb attack in Norway, sits in the rear of a vehicle as he is transported in a police convoy as he is leaving the courthouse in Oslo July 25, 2011. A judge ordered eight weeks detention on Monday for Breivik who has admitted a bombing and shooting massacre that killed about 90 people and who claimed in court to have two more groups of collaborators. Custody, in line with prosecutors' request, will allow them to investigate the case against Breivik, 32, an anti-Islamic zealot who has previously claimed sole responsibility for Friday's attacks. The custody can be extended. REUTERS/Jon-Are Berg-Jacobsen/Aftenposten via Scanpix (NORWAY - Tags: CRIME LAW CIVIL UNREST HEADSHOT) MANDATORY CREDIT. NORWAY OUT. NO COMMERCIAL OR EDITORIAL SALES IN NORWAY
Anders Behring Breivik clenches his fist as he arrives to courtroom for the first day of his trial in Oslo, April 16, 2012. The terrorism and murder trial against Norwegian mass killer Anders Behring Breivik, who has confessed to the bomb and shooting attacks that killed 77 people in Norway in July 2011, began in Oslo on Monday. REUTERS/SCANPIX/Heiko Junge/Pool (NORWAY - Tags: CRIME LAW)
Norwegian mass killer Anders Behring Breivik wipes away tears as he watches a video presented by the prosecution during his terrorism and murder trial, in a courtroom in Oslo April 16, 2012. Breivik, who massacred 77 people last summer, arrived at an Oslo courthouse under armed guard on Monday, clenching his fist in a far-right salute and saying he did not recognise the authority of the judges. Breivik, 33, has admitted setting off a car bomb that killed eight people at government headquarters in Oslo last July, then killing 69 in a shooting spree at a summer youth camp organised by the ruling Labour Party. The video was not made public. At left is Breivik's defence lawyer Geir Lippestad. REUTERS/Heiko Junge/Pool (NORWAY - Tags: HEADSHOT CRIME LAW)
Norwegian mass killer Anders Behring Breivik smiles as he arrives in courtroom 250 for the second day of his terrorism and murder trial, in Oslo April 17, 2012. Breivik, 33, has admitted setting off a car bomb that killed eight people at government headquarters in Oslo last July, then killing 69 in a shooting spree at a summer youth camp organised by the ruling Labour Party. The trial is scheduled to last 10 weeks, during which the court must rule on both his guilt, and his sanity. REUTERS/Hakon Mosvold Larsen/Pool (NORWAY - Tags: CRIME LAW)
Norwegian anti-Islamic fanatic Anders Behring Breivik is seen during the fourth day of proceedings in courtroom 250 in the courthouse in Oslo April 19, 2012. Breivik told a court on Thursday he had planned for even bigger attacks before killing 77 people and had prepared for the massacre by playing computer games. On the fourth day of his trial for the attacks in July, Breivik said he had considered bombing the annual May 1 parade in Oslo, a Labour Party convention and a conference of journalists but opted for a new plan after the bomb-making took too long. REUTERS/Heiko Junge/Scanpix/Pool (NORWAY - Tags: CIVIL UNREST CRIME LAW POLITICS)
The handcuffed hands of Norwegian anti-Muslim fanatic Anders Behring Breivik are pictured as he arrives in the courtroom in Oslo April 24, 2012. Breivik, 33, is on trial for killing 77 people in a shooting and bombing rampage last July. REUTERS/Fredrik Varfjell/NTB Scanpix/Pool (NORWAY - Tags: CRIME LAW CIVIL UNREST)
Norwegian far right mass killer Anders Behring Breivik smiles in court while the prosecutors deliver their closing arguments in Oslo June 21, 2012. Prosecutors will tell a Norwegian court whether they want Breivik to go to jail or to be committed to a mental institution because he was insane when he killed 77 people in 2011. REUTERS/Berit Roald/NTB Scanpix/Pool (NORWAY - Tags: CRIME LAW)
Norwegian mass killer Anders Behring Breivik (C) gestures as he arrives in the court room at Oslo Courthouse August 24, 2012. The Norwegian court delivers its verdict in the ten-week trial of gunman Breivik on Friday, deciding whether to send the anti-Muslim militant to jail or a mental hospital for the massacre of 77 people last summer. REUTERS/Heiko Junge/NTB Scanpix/Pool (NORWAY - Tags: CRIME LAW)
Anders Behring Breivik raises his right hand during the appeal case in Borgarting Court of Appeal at Telemark prison in Skien, Norway, 10 January 2017. NTB Scanpix/Lise Aaserud via REUTERS ATTENTION EDITORS - THIS IMAGE WAS PROVIDED BY A THIRD PARTY. FOR EDITORIAL USE ONLY. NOT FOR SALE FOR MARKETING OR ADVERTISING CAMPAIGNS. NORWAY OUT. NO COMMERCIAL OR EDITORIAL SALES IN NORWAY. NO COMMERCIAL SALES.
FILE PHOTO: Anders Behring Breivik is pictured on the last day of the appeal case in Borgarting Court of Appeal at Telemark prison in Skien, Norway January 18, 2017. NTB Scanpix/Lise Aaserud via REUTERS/File Photo ATTENTION EDITORS - THIS IMAGE WAS PROVIDED BY A THIRD PARTY. NORWAY OUT. NO COMMERCIAL OR EDITORIAL SALES IN NORWAY.
HIDE CAPTION
SHOW CAPTION
of
SEE ALL
BACK TO SLIDE

One of his lawyers, Oeystein Storrvik, had said at the time that he would file an appeal to the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg.

"The essence of our complaint is that we protest against the excessive level of isolation and that this isolation has taken place for a long time," Storrvik told state broadcaster NRK.

Breivik is seeking to overturn a March decision by a Norwegian appeals court that ruled that his near-isolation in a three-room cell respected human rights.

(Reporting by Gwladys Fouche, editing by Ed Osmond)

Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.