Family of Philando Castile reaches $3 million settlement with city of St. Anthony
June 26 (Reuters) - The family of Philando Castile, a black motorist shot and killed by a police officer during a traffic stop in Minnesota last year, reached a $3 million settlement with the city of St. Anthony, city officials and family lawyers said Monday.
The agreement between the Minnesota city and Valerie Castile, the victim's mother, comes a week after the officer who shot Castile, 32, five times was found not guilty of any crime - the bloody aftermath that was seen by millions of people after Castile's girlfriend livestreamed it online.
Castile's death drew national attention, coming amid a wave of high-profile police killings of black men, which sparked street protests in cities across the United States.
A look back: Philando Castile shot by police and livestreamed to Facebook
A jury of seven men and five women, 10 of whom were white and two black, last week acquitted St. Anthony Police Department officer Jeronimo Yanez for his role in the killing. Yanez testified that he had feared for his life after Castile told him that he was carrying a firearm and reached for his wallet when Yanez asked to see identification.
"I'm mad as hell right now," Valerie Castile told reporters after the verdict. "My first-born son died. ... Just because he was a police officer, that makes it OK." She said the verdict shows "the system continues to fail black people." (Reporting by Gina Cherelus in New York; Editing by Alden Bentley, Bernard Orr)