Woman panics after mistaking rattlesnake for dog's toy

A California woman violently panicked and darted away after picking what she believed to be her dog's toy -- only to discover it was a venomous rattlesnake.

Carla Portocarerro Rosso and her husband were calling it a night after soaking in their hot tub last Wednesday before the terrifying encounter was captured by their home surveillance camera.

RELATED: Snakes where they aren't supposed to be

5 PHOTOS
Snakes where they aren't supposed to be
See Gallery
Snakes where they aren't supposed to be
Climbing snake (Photo by Luca Manieri, Getty Images)
A model with tattoo poses with a python around her neck during 2015 China (Taiyuan) International Automobile Exhibition on August 6, 2015 in Taiyuan, Shanxi Province of China. 2015 China (Taiyuan) International Automobile Exhibition held from August 6-9. (Photo by ChinaFotoPress/ChinaFotoPress via Getty Images)
ANDREWS, SC - OCTOBER 09: A snake floats along the flood water being fed from the breached dams upstream as the water continues to reach areas in the eastern part of the state on October 9, 2015 in Andrews, South Carolina. The state of South Carolina experienced record rainfall amounts causing severe flooding and officials expect the damage from the flooding waters to be in the billions of dollars. (Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images)
A snake phython type found on the street at Halim - Jakarta, Indonesia, on 8 December 2016. The snake stuck on the street causing a little traffick, but manage evacuated by a taxi driver to the near river at the location. (Photo by Donal Husni/NurPhoto via Getty Images)
HIDE CAPTION
SHOW CAPTION
of
SEE ALL
BACK TO SLIDE

On her way inside, her husband asked her to bring in their dog, Duchess.

"She wouldn't come, so I said 'Oh, there's a toy over there' and I went to grab it," she told KTLA, thinking she had spotted Duchess' toy rope. "I grabbed it and I felt something gushy, and I said 'Oh my God!'"

That's when Rosso realized she was holding a rattlesnake with her bare hand.

SEE ALSO: Viral video shows big snake regurgitating live rival serpent

It was at that moment that Rosso screamed and jetted back to her husband, who was still relaxing in the hot tub.

The couple and their dog made it out of the yard unscathed. They ended up calling the local fire department for help, who Rosso confirmed "took care" of the reptile.

"I'm going to be walking around with a flashlight," Rosso said. "I know this is their habitat."

Read Full Story