Man dies from flesh-eating bacteria after swimming with new crucifix tattoo
New tattoo recipients are commonly warned not to go swimming for at least three weeks after being inked in order to let the wound properly heal.
Unfortunately, a 31-year-old man who didn't heed that important warning has reportedly died after contracting a flesh-eating bacteria while swimming after getting new body art.
According to Metro, the unidentified victim decided to go swimming in the Gulf of Mexico just days after getting a tattoo of a crucifix and praying hands on his right calf.
Although he had reportedly been advised to refrain from the activity, he didn't heed the warning which ultimately cost him his life.
Photos of the tattoo:
According to British Medical Journal (BMJ) Case Reports, the man developed discoloration in the area around the tattoo along with a fever and chills shortly after he went in the water.
Just 24 hours after being taken to the hospital, the man began suffering organ failure and was placed on a life-support machine, according to Metro.
He was ultimately diagnosed with a flesh-eating bacteria called vibrio vulnificus.
Despite aggressive initial treatment, eventually went into septic shock and died two months after he was admitted to the hospital.
Chronic liver disease due to alcohol abuse was also identified as a contributing factor in the man's death.
Daily Mail reports that people with weakened livers are automatically at a higher risk of catching such an infection since they have low amounts of neutrophils, important white blood cells that help fight disease.