Man's death possibly linked to botulism outbreak at California gas station

A botulism outbreak at a California gas station that left a woman paralyzed last week is believed to also have killed a father of two, according to KTXL.

According to a GoFundMe page created by his family, 37-year-old Martin Galindo was diagnosed with a rare case of botulism a couple weeks ago that eventually put him in a coma.

After a grueling battle with the deadly toxin, Galindo was tragically declared brain-dead and taken off life support on Thursday night in a San Francisco hospital.

KGO-TV reports that Galindo likely contracted the disease from a botulism outbreak traced back to the Valley Oak Food and Fuel in Walnut Grove, California.

Although Galindo's death has not yet been confirmed by the California Department of Health as having ties to the outbreak, 10 cases of botulism have already been linked back to the nacho cheese served at the gas station.

Lavinia Kelly, a 33-year-old mom who was sickened by the same nacho cheese, has been in intensive care for three weeks suffering from full-body paralysis.

Her family has filed a lawsuit against the gas station because of how long and difficult her recovery will be.

"Once the toxin is bound to the neuromuscular system, it's a fairly irreversible procedure," Dr. Brett Laurence, an infection control specialist at Sutter General Hospital where Kelly is being treated, told KTXL. "We have to wait for that to wear off and for new nerves to grow and then recovery begins from there."

Until nerves regrow, doctors can only provide supportive care to patients, helping them breathe with ventilators and providing intravenous nutrition.

Although her recovery will undoubtedly be an uphill battle, Kelly's family is still thankful that things didn't turn out worse for them.

"It's really scary," said Kelly's sister Theresa. "And to think if her and my mother had eaten there, my mom's older. If my mom had eaten there, I don't know if we would have lost both of them."

RELATED: Steer clear of these ten risky foods:

10 PHOTOS
Risky foods to eat, food-borne illnesses
See Gallery
Risky foods to eat, food-borne illnesses
Salmonella can enter tomatoes through cracks and bruises in the fruit's skin. (Photo via Getty Images)
Raw fish, like in sushi and sashimi, carries a risk of salmonella. (Photo via Getty Images)
Fermented foods such as soy sauce can be a breeding ground for flies if they are not covered properly. (Photo via Getty Images)
Raw or undercooked eggs are linked to salmonella. (Photo by Russel Wasserfall, Getty Images)
Many wild mushrooms are poisonous to humans; be cautious of where you get them from. (Photo by Adam Gault, Getty Images)
The seeds of many fruits contain toxins that can be poisonous if consumed. (Photo via Tetra Images/Getty Images)
Oysters have been linked to several illness outbreaks, as they are often consumed raw and can carry any viruses from the water they were in. (Photo via Getty Images)
Soft cheeses, like brie and feta, can carry listeria. (Photo via Getty Images)
Sprouts require humid conditions to grow, which can also spur bacteria growth. (Photo by Tom Grill via Getty Images)
HIDE CAPTION
SHOW CAPTION
of
SEE ALL
BACK TO SLIDE

Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.