Raccoon droppings may have led to rare infection in toddler

SEATTLE (KCPQ) — A King County toddler may have contracted Baylisascaris , a rare and severe infection. So rare in fact that there have been only 29 cases reported in the United States since 1973, and this is the first ever in Washington State.

It's linked to raccoon roundworms and humans can become infected if they inadvertently swallow dirt or other material contaminated with raccoon droppings.

Signs of infection include nausea, tiredness, blindness or even coma. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says the best way to prevent infection is to wash your hands after working or playing in the dirt and stay away from areas frequented by raccoons.

A full list of symptoms and prevention of Baylisascaris can be found on the CDC website.

The toddler was hospitalized but is now recovering at home.

RELATED: Toddler hospitalized after rare infection from possible raccoon droppings

5 PHOTOS
Raccoon droppings may have led to child's rare infection
See Gallery
Raccoon droppings may have led to child's rare infection
Health officials in Washington say a toddler may have contracted a rare infection from inadvertently swallowing dirt contaminated with raccoon droppings.
Health officials in Washington say a toddler may have contracted a rare infection from inadvertently swallowing dirt contaminated with raccoon droppings.
Health officials in Washington say a toddler may have contracted a rare infection from inadvertently swallowing dirt contaminated with raccoon droppings.
Health officials in Washington say a toddler may have contracted a rare infection from inadvertently swallowing dirt contaminated with raccoon droppings.
HIDE CAPTION
SHOW CAPTION
of
SEE ALL
BACK TO SLIDE

Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.

From Our Partners