Trump administration denies report about ending Michelle Obama's 'Let Girls Learn' program

The Trump administration is denying a CNN report from Monday that said "Let Girls Learn," an education program spearheaded by former first lady Michelle Obama, was being discontinued.

A White House spokesperson released a statement to the New York Daily News, stating, "The report in CNN yesterday was incorrect. There have been no changes to the program and none have been authorized."

A State Department spokesperson also said to CNN, "There have been no changes to the program."

She added, "The Administration supports policies and programs to empower adolescent girls, including efforts to educate them through the completion of secondary school. We are committed to empowering women and girls around the world and are continuing to examine the best ways to do so."

Similar messages were posted on the State Department's Twitter account Monday evening.

CNN had reported earlier that day that the program would be ending based on an email it obtained from the Peace Corps acting director Sheila Crowley.

The message states, "Moving forward, we will not continue to use the 'Let Girls Learn' brand or maintain a stand-alone program."

In an updated piece, CNN points out that "In their comment, the White House did not say whether 'Let Girls Learn' would be maintained in the future as a standalone program — and they also did not directly address the memo or why it had been sent."

According to the program's official website, the Obamas launched the inter-agency initiative in March 2015, in part, "to expand educational opportunities for girls—including in areas of conflict and crisis."