Man arrested for kidnapping neighbor, holding her captive in pit: cops

An Ohio man with a history of mental issues was arrested Monday for allegedly kidnapping a woman and imprisoning her in a dirt pit under his shed.

Blanchester Police Chief Scott Reinbolt said Jennifer Elliot, 30, was pulled from the hole about 4 a.m. Heavy pieces of wood and equipment covered the 2-foot by 40-inch hole and prevented the woman from escaping, he said.

Read: Wife of Teacher Suspected of Kidnapping Student: 'I Love Him But I Don't Trust Him Anymore'

Elliot was distraught, unable to speak and appeared to suffering a seizure, the chief said in a statement.

Man charged with kidnapping after woman found under his shed
See Gallery
Man charged with kidnapping after woman found under his shed

Gayle Rowe, Elliot's mother, reported her daughter missing about 1:30 a.m. after finding her bed empty, authorities said.

The two women live next door with Elliot's son.

Officers searched the neighborhood but found nothing.

Rowe called again, hours later, when she heard crying sounds coming from a shed in 45-year-old Dennis Dunn's back yard.

Police officers with guns drawn waited outside Dunn's house until he walked out the door at about 8:00 a.m. "like he was going for a stroll," Reinbolt said.

He was arrested on suspicion of kidnapping, police said. His first court appearance has been scheduled for Thursday.

Elliot had previously reported receiving harassing phone calls texts from Dunn but declined to participate in prosecuting him, authorities said.

He has a history of drug-related arrests and mental health issues, the chief said, according to WCPO-TV.

Dunn called police four times this month saying intruders were trying to break into his house, but officers said they found no evidence to substantiate those claims.

Read: Killer of Etan Patz Gets 25 Years to Life in Prison for 1979 Child Murder

On April 2, neighbors told police Dunn was in his backyard armed with a pistol. He was disarmed and placed under an involuntary psychiatric hold for an evaluation, the chief said.

He was released after 24 hours.

"Dunn appeared to be in need of inpatient mental health treatment, but was released from the hospital after a short stay," Reinbolt said, according to the station.

"I am angry at a state government that places dangerous, mentally ill people in our neighborhood," he said.

Watch: Woman Kidnapped As Newborn Reunited with Birth Parents 18 Years Later

Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.