DORTMUND, Germany (Reuters) - Borussia Dortmund's team bus was damaged and a player was injured following three explosions near the vehicle while it was on its way to Tuesday's Champions League game at home to AS Monaco, police said.
The match, a quarter-final first leg, was called off and rescheduled for Wednesday.
Police said initial investigations showed that the blasts near Borussia Dortmund's team bus on Tuesday were caused by "serious explosives."
"After the initial investigation, we assume that this was an attack with serious explosives," Dortmund police said on its @polizei_nrw_do Twitter feed.
"According to what is currently known, the windows of the bus were (entirely or partly) smashed and one person was injured," police said in another statemtn.
The incident happened in Hoechsten, located outside the city.
Images from the scene:
"It is not yet possible to say exactly what the explosion was or exactly where something exploded," said the statement.
Dortmund said defender and Spanish international Marc Bartra had been taken to hospital and will require wrist surgery after sustaining cuts in his arm from the broken glass, according to Marca.
"All of our support to @MarcBartra, @BVB and their fans," Barcelona tweeted in support of their former player.
Police added: "Currently there is no evidence of a threat to the visitors at the stadium."
Borussia Dortmund said in a statement: "Shortly after the departure of the Borussia Dortmund team bus from the hotel to the stadium there was an incident.
"The bus has been damaged in two places. One person has been injured and is in the hospital. At this point we will inform as soon as we know more."
Dortmund later said in a tweet that the match would go ahead on Wednesday at 1645 GMT (1845 local time / 1245 ET).
18-year-old American player Christian Pulisic was also aboard Dortmund's team bus, but was not injured.
(Editing by Pritha Sarkar and Alison Williams)
AOL contributed to this report