Five-year-old boy dies days after dog chokes him by pulling on scarf

Before you go, we thought you'd like these...
Before you go close icon

A 5-year-old Pennsylvania boy has died, days after he was choked by the family dog as they played in the snow, authorities said.

Little John Bruno was found face-down, with the pup pulling at a scarf around his neck, police said. His mother loosened the tightly wound scarf, carried him inside and called 911, Warrington Township police said.

Read: Boy, 13, Dies After Being Trapped in Snow Mound with Friends as Pair Played

He died Saturday at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, the coroner's office reported. He had been heavily sedated since the accident, authorities said.

6 PHOTOS
Boy dies days after dog chokes him by pulling on scarf
See Gallery
Boy dies days after dog chokes him by pulling on scarf
(Photo: INSIDE EDITION)
(Photo: INSIDE EDITION)
(Photo: INSIDE EDITION)
(Photo: INSIDE EDITION)
(Photo: INSIDE EDITION)
HIDE CAPTION
SHOW CAPTION
of
SEE ALL
BACK TO SLIDE

Officers initially thought the boy had suffered cardiac arrest while cavorting with the family's 18-month-old pet.

Read: 'He's Alive!' Young boy Pulled from Snow-Filled HotelFollowing Avalanche in Italy

"His smile and boundless energy was electric," reads a GoFundMe page established to help pay the boy's medical and funeral costs. "He loved Ninja Turtles, Pokemon, superheroes and being silly.

"Above all else, John loved his mom, dad and big sister."

Watch: 10-Year-Old Boy Dies After Getting Trapped in Show While Digging Tunnel

Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.

From Our Partners