A sleepy fishing neighborhood in 1915
With the consolidation of New York City in 1898, Broad Channel Island in Jamaica Bay officially became part of the borough of Queens.
The low, marshy island was populated only by a small community of fishermen, clamdiggers and oyster pickers until 1915, when the city leased it to the Broad Channel Corporation.
The corporation then leased plots of the island for wealthy New Yorkers to build bungalows and stilt-legged summer homes along the island's shallow canals.
These photos were produced to show off the rustic comforts that a visitor to Broad Channel could expect — a sleepy seaside idyll just a short train ride from the stifling towers of Manhattan.
Check out the vintage photos below: