White House delaying new travel ban after positive reception to Trump's address, report says



Donald Trump's administration is reportedly delaying rolling out a new travel ban after the strong reception to the president's address to Congress on Tuesday night.

A new order was originally slated to be signed on Wednesday, CNN reports, but that plan has been scrapped. A senior official "didn't deny the positive reception was part of the administration's calculus in pushing back the travel ban announcement."

"We want the [executive order] to have its own 'moment,'" the official told CNN.

This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.

Trump's address to Congress was viewed positively by 78 percent of those polled in a CNN/ORC survey, a turn of events for a White House previously seen by many as embattled.

When that new temporary travel ban is rolled out, however, Iraq will be not be included, the Associated Press reports. Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen will still be affected, temporarily at least. The administration is being forced to roll out a revised version of the ban because of legal issues with the initial directive. Sources tell the Washington Post the new policy will also likely exempt current visa holders, a controversial flashpoint issue with the first order.

"We cannot allow a beachhead of terrorism to form inside America — we cannot allow our nation to become a sanctuary for extremists," the president said in his address Tuesday night. "That is why my administration has been working on improved vetting procedures, and we will shortly take new steps to keep our nation safe — and to keep out those who would do us harm."